Re: Event, demo, and other SCA advertising

Poster: Sallie Montuori <foxdale@wolfstar.com>

This is *personal* opinion from an on-and-off subscriber to the Merry
Rose, and should not by any means be construed as the will of the
masses, or even what is or is not -- however tacitly! -- permitted
and/or approved by Kendrick Wayfarer (the listowner).  Doubtless if
anyone holds different opinions, we shall hear shortly.

Event announcements actually are listed in the FAQ as being news, and
therefore acceptable postings.  Beyond that, I would like to add that
I think that as long as an event announcement is sent out once before
or as it's first listed in the Acorn, and maybe once shortly before it
occurs (a last-minute reminder, if you will), then that's ok.  It's
when people start posting it once a week for two months (or every
other day in the last week or so) that it gets really annoying.
Although Rabah has been extremely good about getting the Acorn out on
time without fail, if the event is on the first weekend of the month,
that one last-minute reminder can be a godsend to folks who don't pay
extra for first-class delivery, and especially to folks who don't have
newsletter-bearing memberships.

Demo notices are similar in my opinion.  Since they're not official
events and aren't advertised in the Acorn, it's pretty obvious to post
them here.  I think it's a good idea to make sure the groupname (or at
least the locality) is in the subject line, so it can be skipped by
those who want to ignore it.  For instance, I wouldn't expect that
folks down in Hidden Mountain would have much interest in helping at a
demo in the vicinity of Ponte Alto this week, but it is not
inconceivable that some folks as far away as Caer Mear might.

And, of course, notice of last-minute changes to any event or demo
should be considered not merely news but a public service!

Advertisements, in my opinion, are very different from event and demo
announcements.  Events and demos are one-shot deals, but businesses
are ongoing affairs.  I do not like to see many advertisements.  It is
sometimes good to see mention of a *new* dealer or service, as long as
it is germane to the SCA, especially if it has distinct differences
from existing similar dealers or services.  Also, it is good to see
going-out-of-business notices so you can have that last chance to
patronize a favored merchant.  These should be *short* descriptions of
what's offered, with a pointer to more information (i.e. a website, or
an email, or snailmail, or phone for a catalog).  They are, of course,
always acceptable in response to a posted question of, "Where can I
get XYZ?" as long as they are relevant to that question.

However, as with event and demo notices, it is with recurrence that
these things get annoying.

   Alys of Foxdale        | Vert, on a fess between three trees
foxdale@wolfstar.com      |     argent, a fox passant gules.