Stefan's files for August

Poster: "Mark.S Harris" <rsve60@email.sps.mot.com>

Greetings,

Here is my Florilegium article file for August.

I want to thank those editors who have sent me copies of their newsletter when
they have used this article in their newsletters. While not required, it is
appreciated. Gentles who would like join the group of editors who recieve this
article on the fifth of each month by email should send me an email request
giving their SCA and mundane name, email, group name and newsletter name.

I am always looking for additional, good articles that would be of interest
to those in the Known World. The author retains the copyright and I will
update or remove them upon the author's request.

If anyone has suggestions, ideas or complaints about this monthly article
or my Florilegium files, please contact me.

Stefan
------------
<start>
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past eight years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of
useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted
to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others,
I have placed this information in a series of files I call Stefan’s Florilegium.

Florilegium - (literally, "a gathering of flowers").  In medieval times,
Florilegia were collections of choice tidbits (from Ovid, Aristotle, various
popes, church scholars, etc.) arranged topically. Typically, a florilegium is
huge, encyclopedic, and contains only choice selections from particular works.

Those of you who have World-Wide-Web (WWW) access can get these files at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html.

A copy of my complete filelist is available in the Important Stuff section
of the website. This filelist or any of my files is also available from me
by email in either Word 6.0 or text formats.

Please be aware that sometimes there is a delay between my announcement of
a new file and it’s becoming available at the website.

    Ld. Stefan li Rous   (512)892-0036    stefan@texas.net
    Ansteorra                             RSVE60@email.sps.mot.com

Here are the new files for this month:

AS-cont-docu-msg     Documentation suggestions for A&S contests.
cheesemaking-msg     Comments and info. on cheesemaking. Recipes.
flour-msg            Types of flour. Sources. Period flour.
frittours-msg        Period fried breaded foods. Recipes.
fruit-apples-msg     Period apples and apple recipes.
fruit-quinces-msg    Period uses and recipes for quinces.
Getting-an-AoA-art   "How to Get an AoA" by Gunnora Hallakarva.
Kentwell-Hall-art    A period kitchen at a Living History site.
Houppelande-art      "The Houppelande C. 1355-1450"
                        by Allison Poinvillars de Tours.
med-ships-art        "Medieval Ships" by Dom. Pedro de Alcazar.
p-agriculture-msg    Period agriculture and farming. Sources.
p-bottles-msg        Period beverage bottles and stoppers.
Sugarplums-art       "Visions of Sugarplums" by Mistress
                        Renata Kestryl of Highwynds.
teething-toys-msg    Period and SCA teething toys for infants.
Warners-art          An article on disguised food.
                        by Alizaunde, Demoiselle de Bregeuf.

Here are some of the files that have had substantial additions this past month:

beans-msg            Medieval, old-world beans and peas. Recipes.
bone-msg             Working with bone and antler.
brewing-msg          General brewing info and sources.
cheese-msg           Medieval cheese. Recipes.
drums-msg            Medieval drums and percussion instruments.
                        replacing drumheads.
eggs-msg             Egg storage. Recipes. Substitutions.
England-msg          Medieval points of interest in England.
fruits-msg           Medieval fruits and fruit dishes. Recipes.
glues-msg            Medieval glues and pastes. Recipes.
haggis-msg           Scottish haggis recipes. comments on haggis.
kumiss-msg           Mongol drink made from mare's milk.
nuts-msg             Nuts, acorns, nut flours in medieval foods.
pickled-food-msg     Medieval pickled food. recipes.
shields-msg          SCA and period shields.
soap-msg             Period soap and soapmaking.
sotelties-msg        Sotelties and Warners - decorated food.
sugar-msg            Sugar and other medieval sweeteners.
---
Copyright 1998, Mark S. Harris, 5628 Wagon Train Rd. Austin TX  78749.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the
contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the publication.
Notification may be by email and reformating is allowed.

<end>