Re: Remaining authorization opportunities before War

Poster: Greg Prevost <gregp@ix.netcom.com>

Funny you should mention that as I was about to post this anyway!

This weekend coming up there is Six "P"s down here in South Carolina.  It is
traditionally the last chance you have to authorize before the war!  So you
want to get that Heavy, Rapier, or even Combat Archery authorization done so
you can fight at the war come on down....  Authorizations start at 11:00am
and run till 2:00pm (if you can't make it before two, let me know and I can
probably arrange something) and as soon as all the authorizations are done
we will have a war practice.  Last year we had someone come from Maryland to
get in that last minute authorization.  (see bottom of letter for the Event
Flyer)

In Service to the Kingdom of Atlantia

Janos

> Poster: Gorm of Berra <gormofberra@mindspring.com>
>
> Question:
>
> I see from reading the information on Pennsic that you have to be
> authorized in your weapons forms by Aug 1.  Okay, I can see that.  I see
> that there is only one remaining weekend before that cutoff date.
>
> So...with not quite two weeks remaining, what possibilities are there
> for someone who wants to attempt an authorization in polearm before the
> War?  Does the authorization have to be done at an event, or can it be
> done at a practice assuming the proper personnel (which I seem to recall
> is 2 marshalls, one not from your local group and an MOL)?  Is there an
> event to authorize at this upcoming weekend?  Or did I just manage to
> procrastinate just a bit too well and miss out?
>
> Kindly let me know (and it occurs to me that other folks might be in the
> same boat, so if you reply to me, you might want to reply to the list as
> well).
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Gorm of Berra
> gormofberra@mindspring.com

July 25th - Fourth Annual Pre-Pennsic Event

                         Canton of Cydllan Downs, Cayce, SC

Cydllan Downs presents its Fourth Annual Pre-Pennsic event at Congaree
Presbyterian Church in
Cayce, SC (same site as last year). As the name implies, we'll be getting
everyone ready for
Pennsic. Classes planned so far include: painting floor clothes (bring
canvas with a lightly jessoed
surface and brush), cooking safely at a primitive site, Pennsic furniture,
campfire songs and
drumming. Anyone interested in teaching a class should contact the autocrat.
There will be period
board games available for all to use. Merchants are welcome.

There will be no tournaments, but pick-up fighting will be available for
those wishing to challenge
our notorious summer heat. This will be your last chance to authorize
(heavy, rapier, combat
archery) before Pennsic. There will be no A&S competitions, but please bring
your work to
display and share your knowledge with others.

This is a day-trip event. The site opens at 9AM and closes at 5PM. If people
are interested, we
will go as a group to a local eatery for dinner. The fee includes a
lunch/potluck. We will supply
the meat please bring a sidedish that feeds approximately 6 people. Sidedish
can be fruits,
vegetables, breads, cheeses. BYOD (bring your own drinks)

Fees are: Adult $5.00 Children 6 - 12 $2.00 Under 6 Free. The site is dry
and no pets will be
allowed. Reservations are not required, but will be accepted by mail. Checks
should be made out
to: Canton of Cydllan Downs/SCA, Inc.

Autocrat: Gee MakBrair (Marcia Bryers), 120 Turnstone Way, Columbia, SC
29229, (803)
699-9621 (NLT 9:30pm).

                                   Directions:

>From Charleston: Take I-26 to exit 115 (highways 21/76/321, Charleston
Highway). Turn right
towards Cayce. Stay on Charleston Highway for about 2 1/2 miles.
***Charleston Highway will
then branch off to the left and the right lanes become Knox Abbot Drive.
Stay on Knox Abbot and
continue for about 1 more mile. Turn right at 12th Street, go about 4
blocks, then turn right onto
Lafayette Avenue. The church will be on the left, at 1221 Lafeyette Avenue.

>From Greenville: Take I-26 to exit 113 (highway 302, Airport Blvd), turn
left, and stay on Airport
Blvd until it ends at Charleston Highway. Turn left, go another 1/2 mile,
then follow from ***
above.

>From Charlotte: Take I-77 to exit 18 (highway 277, Northeastern Freeway),
follow into
downtown Columbia. At the 4th traffic light (State Mental Hospital will be
on your left), turn right
onto Elmwood Avenue. Stay on Elmwood, going through about 5 lights. After
you pass the last
stoplight, get over to the far left lane. The left lane splits off to Huger
Street while the other two
lanes become I-126. Take the left exit ramp onto Huger. Stay on Huger for
about 1 1/2 miles. Turn
right onto Blossom Street, cross the river to Cayce, where the name of the
road changes to Knox
Abbot Drive. Stay on Knox Abbot about 1 mile, turn left onto 12th Street, go
about 4 blocks and
turn right onto Lafayette Avenue. The church is on the left.