Re: Heraldry questions

Poster: "Beverly Robinson-Curry" <corvus2@worldnet.att.net>

Rhiannon of Berra wrote:

> <shaking my head> I'll never understand the heraldry rules :(

That's why we teach classes.  The Rules for Submission can be found on the
heraldry page at www.sca.org and any pursuivant or higher should be able to
answer questions about them.

> created from the original form we had and the shields weren't the right
> size and dimension (they weren't off by much, and you could still tell

Actually, Evan tells me that your dimensions were 8" wide by 4.75" tall as
opposed to the required size of 4.75" wide, 5.65" tall (for an escutcheon;
for a
Lozenge, it is 4.25" wide, 5.65" tall and for a roundel, 5.25" diameter.  I
think Gorm wanted these dimensions, if you'd pass them on, please.).  Your
submission form was a significant difference over what's standard.

> what the device was).  I understand the need for standards and
> evrything, but if there are no conflicts, the picture is readable and
> the blazon matches the picture, why not pass it?

This is a contradictory statement.  That's like saying you understand the
reason for helm requirements, but why not pass someone where the bars on
their face grill are 1/2" wider than allowed?  If there is a reason for
standards, then the same follows that they should be adhered to.  This is
one of the reasons that there has been a Society-wide standardizing of the
heraldic submissions forms (which should be reaching your local herald in
an upcoming issue of the Heralds Point).

By Evan return your device at kingdom, then he saved you from having it
returned FOUR months later when Laurel did her LOAR meeting and saw the
forms.  Also, by being sticky about your submission at this level and
making sure it's just right, it raises the chances that it will go through
easier at the Laurel level when it's on the long leg of the process.
Atlantia has a very low return rate from Laurel as opposed to some other
kingdoms which have had as many as half their submissions returned.

If you have any more questions, please let me know.

Lady Rhiannon ui Neill
Triton Principal Herald
House Corvus, Sacred Stone