Re: Heraldry questions

Poster: Erik Dutton <edutton@worldnet.att.net>

As I recall from my time heralding, the point of sending the picture is
largely so they can look at it from across a large room and be sure it's
still clearly identifiable... as seen from across a battlefield,
f'rinstance.

Without seeing your original submission, I can't comment on the unicorn
redraw, but if (for example) from across the room it looks like just a
horse, rather than specifically a unicorn, then (personal opinion) I would
send it back. My reasoning: suppose that you and Fred are fighting together
in the woods battle at Pennsic, and get separated... your arms are (not in
blazon) a heraldically-incorrectly-drawn black unicorn rampant on a white
background, and Joe's (Fred's mortal enemy) arms are a blue horse rampant
on a white background. Now, neither you nor Joe have repainted your shields
in several years, and the devices have faded a bit... you became separated
from Fred during the last ambush, and he comes across you stumbling through
the woods; all he sees through the sweat and the slipped arming cap is a
dark horsie-thing rampant on a light background. He screams "death to
Joe!," attacks and kills you.

The visual component of the submission process would also account for them
requiring you to resubmit with the standard-size form. If they are judging
identifiability at a distance of (let's say) 40 feet for a particular size
drawing, then they would have to completely recalculate the viewing
distance for every submission if they did not require one size of picture.

--
In service,
Rhodri ap Hywel