Re: heraldry rules (fwd)

Poster: Robert J Welenc <rjwelenc@erols.com>

At 11:02 AM 7/23/98 -0400, Gorm of Berra wrote:

>True, however, how is that goal served by returning a device wherein
the
>submitter wishes a Heraldic unicorn, but cannot fit all of the
demanded
>artistic details into a 5" x 6" shield blank on the form(effectively
>1.5" x 1.5" area for the beast in question)?

Sorry, m'lord, but that doesn't fly.  A unicorn's lion tail and
cloven hooves take up no more room than a horse's tail and hooves,
and the beard can be done with a few 1/4" pencil strokes.  Ask the
scribes on this list what it's like to draw a device when the *whole
device* is about 2" by 3"!

>The submitter *wants* a
>Heraldic unicorn.  The submitter *wants* Or on their device, but the
form came
>out orangish.  The submitter's wants are legitimate, and period, and
>acceptable, however the translation of those wants into the
*unperiod*
>mechanism of the submission form (I defy you to come up with
>documentation for the process we follow in the College of Arms).

Because the CoA cannot read the submitter's mind to know all of these
things.  If s/he submits a vaguely unicornoid orange beast, we do not
know that s/he intends to correct all of those things in actual use.
We have to assume that s/he does not know that the submission is
incorrectly depicted, and without education and instructions on how
best to correct the problem, will continue to use it as is. (And if
s/he does know, why is s/he sending it in like that when a few
minutes' work will correct the problem?)

Furthermore, if anyone can think of a better way to submit proposed
devices that puts no more burden or expense on the Laurel office, I'm
sure Laurel would be happy to hear it.

Alanna