Re: [Fwd: why do we....?]

Poster: Michael and MJ Houghton <herveus@access.digex.net>

Howdy!

> Poster: Brenna of Lyonsbane <sunnie@exis.net>
>

> > For instance, if a name is submitted that has a first and 2 by-names and
> > only one by-name is unacceptable, why is the remaining portion not given as
> > a holding name until the person decides how to proceed with the submission?
> >

> Or maybe the problem is that I don't really understand the purpose of a holding
> name...can anyone explain what the purpose is for a holding name, and maybe I
> will understand why it was not done in my case.
>
> Brenna

A holding name will be formed in only one circumstance. Suppose that you
submit a name and a device. The device is find, but the name must be
returned. Everything that is registered must be referenced to a primary name.
In this case, there is no name (it was returned). In order to allow the
registration of the armory, Laurel (and only Laurel) may form a holding name
in order to register the armory.

Sometimes, Laurel is unable to form a holding name because the submitted
given name is not registerable, and the mundane given name is also not
registerable (for being obtrusively modern (e.g. Jay), or presumptuous
(e.g. Earl)). In those cases, the device will also be returned.

Holding names are typically formed by taking the submitted given name (if
registerable) or the mundane given name and appending "of <local SCA group
name>". Registered SCA group names are presumed to be registerable as
locative byname elements.

yours,
Herveus
--
Michael and MJ Houghton   | Herveus d'Ormonde and Megan O'Donnelly
herveus@access.digex.net  | White Wolf and the Phoenix