Re: heraldry rules (fwd)

Poster: Erik Dutton <edutton@worldnet.att.net>

Robert J Welenc wrote:
> Ask the scribes on this list what it's like to draw a device
> when the *whole device* is about 2" by 3"!

Amen! Several years ago I found a wall-hanging candelabra at a yard sale
- it held seven candles, and each candle-cup had a shield-shaped area
measuring approx. 3/4" across by 1" high. Using a flat toothpick (a
bunch of them, actually <g>) as a brush, I painted the devices of each
of my Barony's cantons, plus the baronial device, in those spaces. The
painting lacked a little in fine detail, but the heraldry was accurate
and recognizable. Doing the ermine was probably the hardest part...

So, it can be done. *I* might not be able to do it, and my herald might
not be able to do it, but it's a rare canton that doesn't have someone
with the requisite artistic ability. In that regard, I think maybe it's
also worth mentioning that when I first started heralding, I was taught
that during consultation it is helpful to guide the client towards
selecting heraldry that they can draw themselves. For example, I am not
a good life artist, and so I stayed with simple inanimate objects in my
own device, so that I would not have to depend on someone else's kind
offices every time I wanted my device on something.

--
In service,
Rhodri ap Hywel