Northern *Principality*

Poster: "S. M. Thorson" <smt2@st-andrews.ac.uk>

Eogan wrote

> I want to thank you. Alan your concise answer to my, admittedly truculent
> missive of earlier today was frankly refreshing.  Everyone has talked about
> how important communication is but ours has been one of the few clear
> messages.  Furthermore, we in the South feel we have been totally cut out
> of the process.  That the formation of the Northern Kingdom will only
> benifit the people in the north, yet it will cause hardship thoughout
> Atlantia. If someone would have spoken to us from the begining in the
> thoughtful matter you just did, a great many of the misapprehentions could
> have been avoided.

May I call a small quibble of grammar?  The proposal in motion is to
create a Northern PRINCIPALITY, not a Northern KINGDOM.  If a principality
is created, then there is a *possibility* that it will one day go kingdom,
but that will not happen for several years at the very least and it will
not happen at all if it would be to the detriment of Atlantia as a whole.
That is, the BoD *will not allow* Stilhavn to go kingdom if the rest of
Atlantia cannot stand on its own.  And to my knowledge, there is no intent
among the proponents of the principality movement to dismember Atlantia.
The northern baronies and shires are merely looking for a way in which
they can play together more effectively (and have more fun in the process)
in a crowded geographical area.  Right now the 150-mile-rule is a real
choker on event planning ...

As regards only asking half the kingdom about it, I'm sure the real movers
of the proposal can answer this more cogently, but it is my understanding
that under Corpora, (1) only the area to be affected needs to be polled,
at least initially (2) there are multiple levels of polling which must be
conducted.  Only the first of those stages has happened at this point.

Let's reserve panic, recriminations and nastiness for when there's a
reason for it.  Would people be so upset if a couple of small shires
decided to band together as a single barony?

(Call me the loyal lunatic fringe, but don't call me a separatist)

Alianora