Re: "Making a Medieval Single Pole Pavilion"

Poster: David KUIJT <kuijt@umiacs.umd.edu>

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998 JBRMM266@aol.com wrote:

> << 2.    For the spokes, the article suggests to use 2x4's cut in half to make
> 2 2x2s.  >>
>
> Why this, instead of buying 2X2's?
>
> ~Donal

Way cheaper.  You can get construction-lumber 2x4s for $2.50 or so for a
long piece (I forget if it is 8' or 12').  You can't normally get 2x2s out
of such inexpensive wood.

Do NOT use pressure-treated wood -- the chromium and copper and other
metal salts that are the anti-bug treatment are very hard on your tool
edges.  Plus it's ugly and doesn't take paint or stain well.  Plus you
shouldn't handle sawdust from that stuff if you can avoid it (the chromium
and copper and other metal salts aren't very good for you).

Dafydd