Re: Roquelaure

Poster: clevin@ripco.com (Craig Levin)

Alysoun Ashling:

> I do not know if the word roquelaure was ever used as a name for a person
> before Anne Rice chose to so use it, but wasn't that the name for a garment or
> accessory used at masquerades in the late 18th and early 19th centuries?

It is, in fact a cape. (See the OED)

The cape itself was named after the French Duke of Roquelaure, so
it's really a name taken after a locative, like "de Paris" or "de
Montfort." One could be Tristan de Roquelaure...

In Service,

Dom Pedro de Alcazar
Barony of Storvik, Atlantia
Storvik Pursuivant
Argent, a tower purpure between 3 bunches of grapes proper
--
http://pages.ripco.com:8080/~clevin/index.html
clevin@ripco.com