Re: authenticity discussion (also hot buttons)

Poster: RowenRhys@aol.com

In a message dated 98-08-13 09:22:54 EDT, Rutlands@aol.com writes:

<< I've been reading some of the comments on this subject, and always welcome
the
 discussion.  I just want to add that the question, "yes, it's lovely, but can
 you document it?" is not necessarily snotty, but can mean, wow, if you can
 document it, you might be opening up a whole new area of perception (of what
 was done in period) or new area of endeavor to me!.  Please don't always look
 on it as demeaning or arrogant.

 Also, as much as Laurels and everyone else should always be tactful,
sometimes
 it doesn't flow naturally from us.  We don't all have the greatest people
 skills, even if we have some skill in our arts.  Please take tactless period
 questions with a huge grain of salt.

 Daniel of Rutland >>

I think that what Elen Prydydd was saying was that it was they way in which
people approached the discussion of authenticity.  Firstly, let me say that I
am of the firm belief that people should always think before they speak (one
of my pet peeves).  So instead of posing a question regarding an items
authenticity (tactlessly or not), the people in question make a condeming
statement such as "You CAN'T document THAT" (with the emphasis for tone).
Usually with such a statement is not only those words but an accompanying tone
which, in my opinion, is used to make the recipient of such a comment feel
inadequate and belittled.  I personally do feel thatpeople who make such
statements often speak with a calculated idea of the damage they can cause to
others which in some twisted way makes them feel better about their own
feelings of inadequacy.  But this is just the ranting of an armchair
psychologist who has been on the receiving end of too many of the above
remarks.

Rowen ferch Rhys
who is not at Pennsic and is currently running for the door of the tavern to
escape the flying debris