Women's Fighting Class at Pennsic

Poster: "Genie Powell" <genie@vt.edu>

On Friday night (8/14) there was a women's fighting class held at the Loud
A&S tent at Pennsic.  I was one of the late comers and managed to snag
Duchess Elina of Beckenham's last handout.  I can make photocopies but
decided that it might work best to post her outline to this venue for those
who missed the class or didn't get the handout.  The class was very
interesting and Her Grace is publishing a book on this subject due next
spring.  This is merely an outline so it may seem cryptic.  I also warn that
the Ironrose mailing list is very high traffic.

Isabel
______________________

Fighting Females: If you train one, If you fight one, If you are one!
by Duchess Elina of Beckenham, West

I.  Introduction
    A.  What the class is about, the translation
    B.  Disclaimers

II.  Physical differences and how to use them
    A.  The hand
        1.  Male grip
        2.  Female grip
        3.  Effecting the swing and blows at the moment of impact
        4.  Build the swords differently
    B.  The hips
        1.  The difference
        2.  The stance
        3.  Corrections for the moment of impact
    C.  The shoulders
    D.  Body and armor

III.  Physiological differences and how they affect fighting
    A.  Estrogen and testosterone
    B.  Adrenaline and saratonin
    C.  Chemically motivated emotion and response

IV.  Psychological diffferences - 5 hurdles - the Lizard Brain, take your
time
    A.  I can play a man's game
        1.  Social conditioning
            a.  School
            b.  TV
            c.  Friends and enemies
        2.  The lizard brain's responds
        3.  Solutions
    B.  I can be hit - tears!
        1.  Social conitioning to girls hitting and being hit
        2.  The lizard brain responds
        3.  Solutions
    C.  I can hit
        1.  Social conditioning
        2.  Lizard brain symptoms - "I'm sorry!"
        3.  Solutions
    D.  There are some things I can't do - yet
        1.  Every fighter has a stumbling block
        2.  The lizard responds
        3.  Solutions
    E.  Fighting outside the comfort zone