Too many egos in charge

Poster: jsrechts@imap.unc.edu

Time for me to vent some...

I was amazed and disgusted by the behavior "those in charge" before the
Final Field Battle.  It seems that once again, a few hotheads in high
places placed
their egos and ideas of "honor" before thinking of the popular good.
People are on vacation here but it seems that some forget that all too
fast and then after attempting to spoil the game for the rest of us,
make a hasty apology.  Perhaps we need to reinforce the notion of why
were are here to begin with (to have fun) and the anger and hubris are
bad qualities.

I was chatting with friends from the Midrealm when I saw the Eastern
Army walk off the field.  The reaction was shock at the notion that a
whole army would walk off because of perceived or real insults.  We were
determined not to
let the powers that be get in the way of our vacation and good time and
proceeded to fight the additional field battle.  Real honor involves
thinking of others and considering the long term effect before leaping
to ridiculous actions.  I add this though, at least Timothy did
not exhort the Eastern Army and Allies to go crush the Midrealm in any
way possible.  Still, I think there were better ways of handling this on
both the Midrealm and Eastern sides.

Now onto another gripe:  Lack of imagination on the part of those in
command.  Can we have a rallying cry that is actually based on something
medieval or renaissance rather than a lame quote
from "Starship Troopers"?  (I'm referring to the Everybody Fights,
Nobody Quits here).  One can find many examples of usable quotes from
medieval literature.  Perhaps we can have a rule that Royalty and those
in Command read Battle of Maldon, Song of Roland, Henry V etc.  The
paramilitary chants really should just be left to the movies and to the
Real Armed Forces.
We would get far more of a medieval flavor to our battles by shouting
the period quotes and in turn, make things more fun.  We join the SCA in
part to escape the 20th century, we don't need to import hackneyed
modern phrases to tarnish our little fantasy of being medieval people.

Funny, we forget we are 20th century people when it's most needed and
then at the best possible time to be medieval - we go 20th century.  Go
figure!
Time to change some habits.

Lyanna