Re: Too many egos in charge

Poster: Julien de Montfort <julien@spiaggia.org>

> I was amazed and disgusted by the behavior "those in charge" before
>the
> Final Field Battle.  It seems that once again, a few hotheads in high
> places placed their egos and ideas of "honor" before thinking of the
> popular good.  People are on vacation here but it seems that some
> forget that all too fast and then after attempting to spoil the game
> for the rest of us, make a hasty apology.  Perhaps we need to
> reinforce the notion of why were are here to begin with (to have fun)
> and the anger and hubris are bad qualities.

While I understand your point of view, I must say that I do not hold it
myself.  Yes, some people may be "on vacation," but to me, that's
neither what Pennsic nor the SCA is about -- yes, having fun is a
strong factor -- indeed if one is *not* having fun, I'd say it's time
for them to step back and reevaluate things -- but if we cannot try and
uphold the sense of honor that epitomized the high middle ages of
legend, then are we really doing anything beyond
Live-Action-Role-Playing and other fantasy groups?

I will not argue that sometimes (some people would say most of the
time) that lofty pinnacle is not achieved, but it is, in my mind, an
important goal beyond just having fun, and one that sets us apart from
the rest.

If the situations occured such as was described in HRM Timothy's
forwarded post (and I am not doubting his words) then I feel the
actions taken were justified.  If not about honor, then what is Pennsic
and the SCA supposed to be about?  It's not *just* about having fun,
and in fact I would be very dismayed were I to find out that it *were*
just about having fun.  Ludicrous as it may sound to some, I think it's
the higher ideals out there that many in the SCA try to achieve that
sets us apart from the rest...

On the other hand, I can't agree with you more about war cries. :-)

Julien