Re: Reversible Garb and Beak-Doctors

Poster: Rutlands@aol.com

My documentation for what follows is based strictly on Trashy Novels and a
quote passed down in the family, supposedly from my great-grandmother...

     My take on "reversible" is-- cloth was VERY precious until the spinning
wheel- and by that I mean the Saxony wheel-- developed.  (Then it became only
very precious.)  It stayed that way until the power looms developed.  Then it
became less precious, except if you were poor.  My own great grandmother is
quoted in the family as saying, that "if she didn't sew, and mend, and turn,
they'd be in the poorhouse."  Note that last... "and turn".  Cloth was re-used
as long as pieces were re-usable.  Why, therefore, make a reversible garment
which, if one side was damaged, granted, you could always use the other, but
you could NOT use the damaged cloth over...?  Add to that that if one's
garment were lined, the lining that DIDN'T show could be relatively scroungy
stuff.
     Perhaps "reversible" could be attained with an unlined garment with the
seams-- eeg, I don't know the term- French seams?-- the same on both sides?
Where both pieces of cloth hook back into each other & you sew down 2 lines
for the one seam?  Elephino** how you'd turn a corner or a curve, but it's a
thought.  James of Rutland

** What doe you gette when you cross an Elephante with a Rhynoceros???....