RE: Lord of the Rings Casting Call (WAS Re: Glorious...)

Poster: "Garrett, William" <WGarrett@sierrahealth.com>

> .
> > >
> > > Hmmmm.  A good point.  Maybe O'Toole would be a better Saruman?
>

> I think Peter O'Toole would do very well as Gandalf, Denethor, or Theoden.
>
> All of them should be old men, skinny, tall, capable of switching from
> abstraction to frightening intensity in a moment.
My vote would be for O'toole as Denethor, somebody who starts out cynacle
and only gets worse as he dives into madness and sorrow........I can see him
holding the Palantir in the flames......
> I think Derek Jacobi would make a better Saruman, because he does a really
> good "oily", and it would take a brilliant actor to make the speeches
> standing on the steps of Orthanc that are required of Saruman -- trying to
> convince Gandalf, or Theoden, to join him even though he has betrayed them
> utterly and is entirely helpless and without power.
I agree.....

> Sir John Gielgud would have been a wonderful Gandalf, except that I think
> he has inconveniently died in the last couple of years.

Ok....Maybe Max Von Sydow?

> Here's a thought -- Patrick Stewart.  He could take any of the four
> "Powerful Old Men" roles (Gandalf, Denethor, Theoden, Saruman).  He'd make
> a wonderful Denethor -- I've seen him play King Lear, and you need to be
> able to transmit that sort of madness and despair.
I would rather see him play Theoden.......starts off weak and cowed and then
becomes a lion.  He could do it well.

How about Brian Blessed as Gimli?  It's amazing what can be accomplished
with cameras these days :o)

James Earl Jones as the voice of Fangorn

Who the hell would play Tom Bombadil??????????

Me as someone, anyone, even a customer at the Prancing Pony.  :o)

Who Not to Cast

Alicia Silverstone as Eowyn
Keven Costner as Aragorn
Anyone as Sauron