Re: Lord of the Rings Casting Call

Poster: Beth Morris <bmorris@access.digex.net>

David KUIJT wrote:

> Poster: David KUIJT <kuijt@umiacs.umd.edu>
>
> On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Michael Ruttle wrote:
>
> > Liam Neilson as Strider?
>
> Liam Neeson?  Hmm.  I think he'd be better as Boromir -- he's got awful
> broad shoulders.  But he'd work fine as Strider too.
>
> Who's the actor who played Sharpe in the Sharpe's Battles series on PBS?
> He also played the IRA villain "Sean" against Harrison Ford in one of the
> Tom Clancy flicks whose name I forget (but I liked the film).  Sean Bean
> maybe?  Anyway, he'd make an excellent Strider -- he can easily look as
> vicious and disreputable as the initial view of him in the Prancing Pony
> in Bree, and as tough as nails through the middle, and still become the
> noble leader revealed at the end.

The guy with the cheekbones?! Yes.  Someone like that *would* be good,
and Neeson has the kind of 'sorrowfulness' that makes Boromir what he
is....

Hm.  What about characters like Elrond, or Celeborn & Galadriel?
Eomer?  Eowyn?

I can kind of see Branagh as Faramir, although I picture him with a
somewhat different 'air' about him (probably excessively influenced by
the Hildebrandt calendars) - what about Kiefer Sutherland?

Speaking of which, how about Donald Sutherland for Denethor?  That's the
right kind of craggy-regal I picture....

I like the Mike Myers as Gollum idea.  Or Billy Crystal.

I love Gary Oldman as Wormtongue.  Brian Blessed might be good as Gimli
- I sorta pictured him as Boromir too....

Keilyn
who has been hearing rumors about this for a while but got the news this
morning just before Steve posted it....