Re: Glorious day for films.

Poster: "Brett W. McCoy" <bmccoy@lan2wan.com>

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Craig Levin wrote:

> Actually, the prof. was adamantly against a movie version,
> according to his letters. That far-off distant moan you hear is
> him spinning in his tomb. His opinions on "over-accurate"
> _illustration_ (which is odd, since he illo'ed some of his own
> work) are to be read in his On Fairy Stories in the Tolkien
> Reader.

I'm a little concerned also with the talk of 'franchising' merchandise frm
the movie.  This was something Tolkien loathed in the extreme, and why he
hated Disney's films so much: that the great figures of legend would be
reduced to pop icons.  I know what my reaction will be when I see hobbits
being used to sell hamburgers and breakfast cereals.  This was why Bill
Watterson refused to license "Calvin & Hobbes".

Istvan Dragosani
                                        http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy/