RE: Thrusts to the Side of the Head

Poster: "Jeffrey C. Sussman" <JSussman@erols.com>

Greetings from Richard!

Let me clarify the procedural issues regarding this rule.
By long standing convention this rule has been in place for at least as long
as I've been in the SCA.  I recognize that this rule has not been
implemented universally at all times.  The inclusion of this rule in the
written conventions of combat is designed to do just that.  If after we
settle this issue, people want to make a case for changing this rule, it
will require considerable discussion, testing and analysis.  This means that
this issue gets added to my list of things that need a closer look.  Yes,
this list gets passed to Duke Galmr when he takes the office.

Yours in Service to Atlantia,
Duke Richard Fitzgilbert
(Jeffrey Sussman)

"This rule (4.E.) does not reduce the safety concerns in this matter at
"all. It does not prevent fighters from thrusting to the head, but only
"allows the recipient to ignore a shot that lands there, regardless of
"power or accuracy.
"
"As for those who would use this rule to avoid a face
"thrust,  I think a solution can be found in the way we deal
"with fighters moving non-eligible targets (hands and lower legs)into
"the target area, then the shot will still count where it
"lands, if it is a
"telling blow. This way, sneaks who try to avoid
"death by looking away will get what they deserve, and others
"will not get
"blind sided.
"However this is only a solution to the problem that the rule itself has
"created.