Leather Tanning

Poster: rmhowe <magnusm@ncsu.edu>

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Tanning hides...]
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 17:32:42 -0500
From: "Mark.S Harris" <rsve60@email.sps.mot.com>

Greetings Magnus,

Could you pass this on to the folks who were discussing leather tanning?

Stefan

I don't believe I've seen any evidence of brain tanning used in Europe
prior to 1600.

For those interested in different types of tanning, although I don't
think there are too many specific directions, they might want to look at
this file in the CRAFTS section of my Stefan's Florilegium files:

lea-tanning-msg   (36K)  9/ 2/98    How to tan leather. Types of
tanning.

These other, similar files might also be of interest:

leather-msg       (79K)  9/ 2/98    Working with leather. tanning.
leather-dyeing-msg(37K)  7/ 7/98    Dyeing and painting leather.
lea-bladders-msg  (15K)  8/ 3/98    Tanning, cleaning, dressing animal
bladders.
lea-tooling-msg   (47K)  1/ 6/98    Leather tooling. decorating leather.
merch-leather-msg (18K) 10/10/96    Leather merchants and sources.

My files can be found on the web at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Lord Stefan li Rous
Ansteorra (Austin, TX)