Re: Suspension of Certain Combat Arrows

Poster: Shawn Riggin <sriggi1@gl.umbc.edu>

On Thu, 12 Nov 1998 JBRMM266@aol.com wrote:

> Poster: JBRMM266@aol.com
>
> In a message dated 98-11-11 19:42:02 EST, wolffe@onslowonline.net writes:
>
> <<  Ahh! Quite possible, but wouldn't the fletching also keep the end from
> coming all the way through?
>  -Wolfe >>
>
> That may be the answer to the problem . . . if the fletching were large
> enoughr, and made of sufficiently rigid material, such as plastic, the
> likelihood of the nock end entering a helm via the eyeslits would be
> diminished even farther!>
> ~Donal Mac Ruiseart

I don't think the fletching is a problem, rather its the nocks that are a
problem.  When you make the fletching on the arrow rigid, you risk that
going through the grill of a fighter's helm too, and as it stands right
now, that isn't a problem, because the fletching is generally soft and
giving.  I had one incident at crusades where one of my arrows struck
an Eastern fighter in the shoulder, then spun sideways hitting another
East Kingdom fighter in the face grill with the shaft of the arrow.  I
cringed when it hit, because it didn't look real good, and if the
fletching had been rigid and larger, it probably would have cut the
fighter.

I think the answer is the nocks.... I just don't know exactly how you can
go about fixing the problem.  The website that Gorm threw out in a
fellow archers (Giovanni) that you can boil the plastic nocks in water and
"fan-out" the 2 nocking prongs, creating a larger surface area.

Just something to chew on,
Morgan