Re: Diana Rhys of carmarthen

Poster: Kevin of Thornbury <kevin@maxson.com>

J.A.McGowan wrote:

> Poster: "J.A.McGowan" <jam@goshawk.clara.co.uk>
>
> Please apologise to any I may unwittingly have offended with my .sig file,
> the format of which obviously needs work--but you were the only ones who
> pointed out that it's been jammed up against the text and therefore prone
> to misinterpretation!
>
> IRL I am a PhD (well,  nearly--have submitted, etc.) in medieval/early
> modern witchcraft, and the quote is appropriate both for me and persona.
>
> Wait...blast...now I've worded it badly again ... :-)
>
> ******
>
> "...the countless harlotries of the harlot, graceful mistress of sorcery,
> who betrays nations with her harlotries and peoples with her sorceries."
>                                 -Nah. 3.4 (Yes, from the Bible)

>From the book of the vision of Nahum the Elkoshite (the burden of
Nineveh), Chapter 3:

"1 Woe to the bloody city! it is all full of lies and robbery; the prey
departeth not;

"2 The noise of a whip, and the noise of the rattling of the wheels, and
of the pransing horses, and of the jumping chariots.

"3 The horseman lifteth up both the bright sword and the glittering
spear: and there is a multitude of slain, and a great number of
carcases; and there is none end of their corpses; they stumble upon
their corpses:

"4 Because of the multitude of the whoredoms of the wellfavoured harlot,
the mistress of witchcrafts, that selleth nations through her whoredoms,
and families through her witchcrafts.

"5 Behold, I am against thee, saith the LORD of hosts; and I will
discover thy skirts upon thy face, and I will shew the nations thy
nakedness, and the kingdoms thy shame.

"6 And I will cast abominable filth upon thee, and make thee vile, and
will set thee as a gazingstock.

"7 And it shall come to pass, that all they that look upon thee shall
flee from thee, and say, Nineveh is laid waste: who will bemoan her?
whence shall I seek comforters for thee?

"8 Art thou better than populous No, that was situate among the rivers,
that had the waters round about it, whose rampart was the sea, and her
wall was from the sea?

"9 Ethiopia and Egypt were her strength, and it was infinite; Put and
Lubim were thy helpers.

"10 Yet was she carried away, she went into captivity: her young
children also were dashed in pieces at the top of all the streets: and
they cast lots for her honourable men, and all her great men were bound
in chains."

- Nahum 3:1-10

_____
 \_/   kevin@maxson.com  http://www.atlantia.sca.org