Re: What could a married man do? (fwd)

Poster: clevin@ripco.com (Craig Levin)

Alanna:

> I'll let Pedro or some other legalist answer for what the law said
> exactly.

Depends: Canon law or English Common? Canon I have on hand at
home, English Common takes longer. For an extra fee (grin) I'll
even look into what the Corpus Iuris Civilis and the Siete
Partidas have to say. Mind you, it wouldn't happen this week...

> Practical questions:
>
> How does he find out?  If he catches wifey in the act, he would be a
> model of restraint not to have both of their heads then and there.

Indeed.

> Who is she swiving?  A kitchen boy or Hubby's overlord?  Tact might
> be called for in the latter case...

Actually, the oaths sworn between lord and man in much of Europe
have an answer to that latter question: typically, each swears
not to harm the property or interests of the other. Doing so
nullifies the bond, and the man is free to offer his sword and
any freeholdings he may have to another lord, or he can raise
rebellion. If, on the other hand, it's his man who's sleeping
with his wife, then he can revoke his man's fief, and go to war
upon him. See the legend of Tristram and Isoud for an idea of
what a lord (in this case, King Mark) could do.

One especially notes that in England, "petty treason" consists of
sleeping with your lord's wife or daughter(s), attempted murder
of your lord, and betraying him in warfare (ie., surrendering his
castle without due formalities of war, cowardice, etc.).

Pedro
--
http://pages.ripco.com:8080/~clevin/index.html
clevin@ripco.com