Re: more questions (fwd)

Poster: EoganOg@aol.com

In a message dated 12/16/98 3:42:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, clevin@ripco.com
writes:

Pedro scrieved:

> As usual, trying to get something as nebulous as the status of
>  all women is something you can't do. The power and liberty
>  available to the milkmaid are going to be very different from the
>  power and liberty available to the milkmaid's employer. By and
>  large, women were second-class citizens, in the eyes of the law,
>  but, as anyone familiar with the name of Bess of Hardwick Hall
>  can attest, determination and gall will often overcome the law.

Althought it does not deal with the Tudor period in question, there is an
*excellent* article I recently read entitled "Girls Growing Up in Later
Medieval England" in History Today, June 1995, pp. 25-32, if anyone wants to
make a trip to the library.  It examines issues such as these and challenges
some old notions.  It also looks at the status of children in medieval
society.

Aye,
Eogan Og