Re: Henry VII

Poster: Robert J Welenc <rjwelenc@erols.com>

>Greetings.  I am doing some research and am finding it hard to
locate any good
>info in this small town!  Can anyone tell me what (if anything)
happened of
>interest during Henry VII 's reign?  I know the War of the Roses had
just
>ended, what happened next?  The internet had some info, but mostly
about Henry
>VIII and Elizabeth I.  Thanks in advance.  Kari Kyst
>--
>Janine Honey Sutter

Time to point out to those new to research and cursed with poorly
stocked public libraries the marvels of Inter-Library Loan.  If you
can find information about a book -- title, author, or subject --
your local library can borrow it from other libraries, within its own
system or even from other library systems.  My library in Maryland
has borrowed books for me from as far away as New York and Ohio.

Your library should have on-line or hard-copies of Books In Print.
This is a humongous amount of information on books that are currently
in print.  It is broken down by title, author, and subject. Since you
have no author or title, subject is your best guide.  Look for "Henry
VII" and BIP will list all the books currently being published about
him.  Note down the author and title, ISBN, and publisher.  Then you
go to the desk and ask one of the nice librarians for an interlibrary
loan (ILL).  Give them all the information you have just culled from
BIP, and they will request it for you.  If there are too many
choices, ask them to help you pick out a couple.

BIP is only one of the sources available.  It does not list books
that have been written but are no longer being published -- and there
are a lot more of them out there than those currently in print.
If you have internet access, go to Amazon.com and do a subject
search.  Note down books that look interesting.  Then go back to the
library for an ILL.

Failing all else,  go  to the librarian and ask her how to find a
good biography of H7.  Odds are that even the smallest libraries will
have a reference book that lists biographies of all sorts (and all
sorts of other books about books!)  In the absense of an author
and/or title,  she can even make a subject ILL request  for "a
biography of Henry VII."

Please, *please* do not be too shy to ask for help.  You're not
"bothering" the librarians -- YOU are the reason that reference
librarians exist.  They want to help you.  Ferreting out information
is fun!

Alanna
(one time librarian who vividly remembers the lady that asked if the
library had a picture of Cleopatra...)