Desiderata

Poster: "Rowanwald Central" <rownwald@gte.net>

  I'm taking the liberty to post this somewhat in the holiday spirit. I
have it copied in the front of the notebook that I take to events -
whenever I need to deal with a situation or person that seems overwhelming,
I try to walk away and re-read this. It always helps. I've found that
certain sentences "leap" to my attention when I most need to see them....
so since this is the season of highest stress (although I would argue that
Pre-Pennsic beats it), I thought that some of you might appreciate this....

... and to those who would find it significant, once, when I was quoting it
to myself under my breath (yes, it was one of those "situations") I found
Sir Forgal next to me - and he was quoting it with me....

Rosine

                                      Desiderata

   Go placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may
be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with
all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others,
even to the dull and ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and
aggressive persons; they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare
yourself to others you may become vain or bitter, for there will always be
greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well
as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a
real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your
business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind
you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals and
everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially do not feign
affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity
and disenchantment, it is as perennial as grass. Take kindly the counsel of
the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nuture strength of
spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune, but do not distress yourself
with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond
a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the
Universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be
here, and whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the Universe is
unfolding as it should. Therefore, be at peace with God, whatever you
conceive Him to be. And whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy
confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all it's sham, drudgery,
and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be
happy.

----anon  (so far as I know. I heard a story that the text was found on the
pulpit at Old St. Paul's Church in Boston sometime in the 1800's, and
copies of it that I've seen at various times have also claimed that - but
other copies have given an author's name.... although there appears to be
more than one author!)