RE: Desiderata

Poster: Mike Dullaghan <michael.f.dullaghan@adn.alcatel.com>

On 19-Dec-98 Rowanwald Central wrote:

>----anon  (so far as I know. I heard a story that the text was found on the
>pulpit at Old St. Paul's Church in Boston sometime in the 1800's, and
>copies of it that I've seen at various times have also claimed that - but
>other copies have given an author's name.... although there appears to be
>more than one author!)

A quick Web search turned up the following (Fortunately I could
remember the poet's name. I would have hated to search on the string
"Desiderata".):

   The Desiderata is usually said to be accompanied by the inscription,
   "Found in the Old St. Paul's Church, Baltimore, dated 1691". This piece
   was actually written by an Indiana poet named Max Ehrman, and registered
   with the Copyright Office of the Library of Congress early in 1927.
   Copyright was renewed after the author's death by his widow and the work
   is still protected under U.S. Copyright Laws.

This is not intended to detract in any way from Rosine's sentiments
(although it does lose some of the glamour knowing it was written in
this century.) I just want to make sure that the author is given
credit.

It is a lovely piece which I have often quoted to myself. In fact, my
parents owned a dramatic reading of it that I was in the habit of
playing repeatedly while doing my Latin homework.

Michael
Michael the Eclectic, House Falconguard, Barony of Ponte Alto, Atlantia.
Vert, on an inverted chevron or, a reremouse(bat) displayed sable.

Armed man = citizen.  Unarmed man = subject.

Of course these are MY opinions! Whattya think, my EMPLOYER
could've thought this stuff up?