Re: Recommended reading?

Poster: EoganOg@aol.com

In a message dated 12/19/98 3:32:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, cosby@erols.com
writes:

>  I'm also looking for a book which breaks down the
>  Scottish during this era and their rank structure.  Any recommendations
>  would be greatly appreciated.

I have access to a facsimilie of _The Peerage of Scotland_, originally
published in 1767.  The full title is "The Peerage of Scotland: A Genealogical
and Historical Account of All the Peers of That Ancient Kingdom; Their
Descents, Collateral Branches, Births, Marriages, and Issue.  Together With a
Like Account of All the Attained Peers; and a Complete Alphabetical List of
Those Nobles of Scotland, Whose Titles Are Extinct.  Collected From Parliament
Rolls, Records, Family Documents, and the Personal Information of Many Noble
Peers.  Also the Paternal Coats of Arms, Crests, Supporters, and Mottoes, Most
Elegantly Engraved."

>From the book jacket:  "Over 120  different titles are presented in the
central section of the book.  A history of the family's lineage as it pertains
to the title is given for each of the entries.  Also presented for each entry
are:  titles (primarily the way to address the holder of the postion being
discussed); creations (primarily titles bestowed by the king); arms (a
description of the center of the coat of arms); crest (a description of the
symbol at the top of the coat of arms); supporters (a description of the
humans, animals and/or jewels that flank the coat of arms); motto; and cheif
seat (the location of the main residence of the family)."

This work details the lineage of about 100 noble families, from their
foundings to the 18th century.  If there is a particular family you are
interested in learning about, I would be happy to see what I can come up with.
If anyone is interested in owning the book, it can be yours for $23.75 plus
shipping & handling! 8*)  (shameless plug).

Aye,
Eogan Og