Re: Wassail

Poster: "Jason & Shannon Smith" <srgiles@erols.com>

>Anyone got any good wassail recipes?  I have to make it for an office
>party on Monday and I can't find the one I used to have.  Many thanks in
>advance.
>
>Istvan Dragosani

Here is my favorite and it is so easy to make...

2 quarts apple cider
2 cups cranberry juice
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 sticks cinnamon
1/4 tsp. mace, ground
1/2 tsp. ginger, ground
1 large orange, cut into eighths and cloved

Put all ingredients into and a large pot and bring to a boil.  Turn down
heat so the mixture is moving, but NOT boiling.  Leave on heat three to four
hours.  Stir occasionally.  Serve hot.

*Note: For a party, I typically make a double recipe.  It is just easier to
buy a gallon of apple cider and use a whole jar of cranberry juice.
Sometimes, depending on the tartness of the cider, you may need to add extra
brown sugar or plain sugar.

Enjoy!

Sorcha de Glys