Re: The Letter X

Poster: James Gilly / Alasdair mac Iain <alasdair.maciain@snet.net>

At 12:14 31-12-98 -0500, Kari Kyst wrote:
>Greetings!  I am making a word find for Wynnie's "ABCs of the SCA" book.  Can
>anyone think of anything for the letter X?  Thank you in advance.  Kari Kyst

My immediate response was "xebec," but the earliest citation in the OED is
from 1756. 8(

Digging further through said OED, however:

Xeres - Andalusian town famous for its wine (1661, but what the heck....)
Xiph (also spelt zyphe) - swordfish (1572)
Xylaloe(s) - aloe (1545)
Xylocassia - cassia (the spice, usually sold as cinnamon) (1555)
Xylocinnamon - cinnamon-wood (1555)

Apologies if I've misquoted any of the dates above - I own the Compact OED,
not the full 20-volume set, and misplaced the magnifying glass long ago....

And don't forget Rabah's alphabet song: "X is a letter I have nothing for...."

8)

Alasdair mac Iain

Laird Alasdair mac Iain of Elderslie
Dun an Leomhain Bhig
Canton of Dragon's Aerie [southeastern CT]
Barony Beyond the Mountain  [northern & southeastern CT]
East Kingdom
Argent, a chevron cotised azure surmounted by a sword and in chief two
mullets sable