Re: Questions...

Poster: Shannon Keys <skeys@millenicom.com>

The book I have states that the split in the papacy occurd somewhere around
1377.  From 1305-1378 the papal seat was located in Avignon.  In 1378 Pope
Gregory XI  returned the papal seat to Rome.  After his death one year later,
the Roman crowds threatened the cardinals, who quickly elected a Italian pope.
After the election, the cardnials fled Rome, returned to Avignon, and voided
the election.  The cardinals then elected a second pope who ruled from Avignon.

    The two popes issued conflicting Bulls, excommunicated each other, and
played a great deal of politics.  In 1409 a majority of cardinials held a
council wherein they deposed both popes, and elected a third pope.  The whole
thing was finally straightened out in 1417 when the Council of Constance
elected Martin V.
-Medb Mac Domhnaill