From Fidonet (email ListRep here re replying directly)

Poster: SCA-Atlantia@f120.n109.z1.fidonet.org (SCA-Atlantia)

* Forwarded by NetMgr 0.99 [unreg]

Original message:

--
Date: Apr 15 '99, 07:13
Attr: Loc
From: Dave Aronson, (1:109/120.0)
To  : Labaran@aol.com, (1:109/120.0)
Subj: Tax deductable?
--
Labaran@aol.com weites:

 L> You should really check futher.  I have this from the H&R
 L> Block(head) book...

 L> "In general, qualified organizations are nonprofit groups that are
 L> religious, charitable, educational (may apply), scientific, or
 L> literary in nature or that seeks to prevent cruelty to animals or
 L> children.  To be recognized as a charitable organization, an
 L> organization generally must apply to the IRS for an exempt
 L> status."  Do we know that this has been done?

IIRC, we are indeed a 501(c)3 organization, which is not merely tax-exempt
(i.e., the group doesn't pay taxes) but tax-deductible (i.e., donations can
be deducted from the donor's taxable income).  The question is, what is the
value of the goods/services/privileges/etc. we receive as members?  (That
is, how much do we subtract from our dues to find our donations?)

Disclaimer: I am not now, nor have I ever been, a lawyer nor an accountant.
___
 * MR/2 2.1 NR * http://listen.to/davearonson (last updated 1999-04-07)