Re: coat of arms research (fwd)

Poster: clevin@ripco.com (Craig Levin)

Tristan de Roquelaure:

> Okay.
> I was told, but St Gabriel, that my arms would not be passed
> b/c they are not a "French" design for coats of arms in period.

Actually, you've read it wrong. Your coat of arms violated the
Rule of Tincture, and that means that even if it was Outer
Bunkleyutzian, the SCA College of Arms wouldn't register it.
That's a SCA thing, not a Gabriel thing.

However, because the French heraldic design aesthetic typically
adhered to the Rule of Tincture, it's also not the sort of thing
one might expect a Renaissance Frenchman to use as his coat of
arms. They also noted that other elements of your coat of arms
aren't often found in French heraldry.

> They also listed that they couldn't find anything by a M. de
> Roquelaure in the 16th century, though I managed to find period
> information of a person by the name of "de Roquelaure" in period...
> I have the information at home.

I believe that they _did_ find some information to demonstrate
the existence of one M. de Roquelaure. I quote: "...there was an
<M. de Roquelaure> in 16th century France."

> But that's beside the point.
> What I was woundering is this:  DO my arms HAVE to match my person's
> origins?  Jsut b/c my persona is French, do they ABSOLUTELY HAVE to
> be within the French design??

Well, if you want a French persona, it would make sense to design
a coat of arms that used the French design aesthetic for
heraldry. That coat of arms, in period, was a part of your
identity, far more than your signature would have been-it would
have been on your clothes, on the seal you used to seal legal
documents and letter, on the windows of your local church, on the
family sepulchre where your ancestors were buried, on your flag
when you went to war as a private gentleman, on the markers for
your real estate, you name it. It would be like claiming to be
French, but wearing clothes more in the style of a German.

In Service,

Dom Pedro de Alcazar
Barony of Storvik, Atlantia
Drakkar Pursuivant
Argent, a tower purpure between 3 bunches of grapes proper
--
http://pages.ripco.com:8080/~clevin/index.html
clevin@ripco.com