Re: Acrobatics and vocabulary

Alianora writes:

>Dafydd raises a good point about the nature of the medieval guild.
>The problem is that there weren't any medieval groups that correspond
>to the SCA "guild."  Even performers formed mercantile associations -
>like the confrerie of Jongleurs in Arras.  -Alianora

Well, I would have said it another way: "the problem is that the SCA
guild doesn't correspond to anything medieval."  And in fact, there are
bloody few examples of SCA guilds that last more than a few years or
so.  This leads me to suppose that the problem is with the SCA guild
structures that are attempted.  Which is not to say that no solution
is possible, but that the usual "Hey! Let's form a Guild!" might need
a little more thought.

Dafydd