Re: It's time for ... WORDS!!!

On Mon, 16 Jan 1995, Corun MacAnndra wrote:

> Karen wrote:
>

> > Archery:  Belomancy.
>
> I thought that would have been the are of field or court heraldry. Or is
> that bellowmancy?
>
> > Autocrat:  Satrap (from the Persian xshathrapavan, of course).  Or, if you
> > prefer, thaumaturge (with any assistant autocrat being a famulus).
>
> "Where's the list of on-board reservations?"
>
> "One of the assistants to the Satrap has it."
>
> "Ah, keeping it in the famulus, eh."
>
> > Board of Directors:  Gerontocracy.  (Hence, all members of the Board are
> > to be addressed as gerontocrats.)  The term only dates back to 1830, but
> > it's far more period *sounding* than "Board of Directors" ...
>
> That bunch of Old Farts(tm) that runs this organization? (Alright, so
> organization is an oxymoron where the SCA is concerned)
>
> > Garb:  Garb.  It dates back to 1599.  It comes from the Italian word
> > "garbo" meaning grace.  Hee hee hee ...
>
> Would that be Greta Grace?

Corun, you're getting a Shaw salute for that (it ain't period, but it's
fitting!)

(Saaral grabs his nose, points at Corun, then flees the room screaming)

Yours,

Saaral/Grey the Succinct (Don't blame me, a BEAR named me!)
Barony of Ponte Alto, Kingdom of Atlantia

Otelio S. Randall II ---------- saaral@dcez.com
Grey Randall ----------randalo@iia.org
greyhorn@piper.com
USnail: