RE: The Principality Debate

On Wed, 8 Feb 1995 djaggard@ccmail.gsfc.nasa.gov wrote:

>      Greetings to all!
>
>      Bertram says ...
>
>      >  I'm not an Atlantian.  I'm from AEthelmearc, a principality well on
>      >  its way to becoming its own kingdom... but I must admit I am
>      >  puzzled by the hostility to debate about the _topic_ of
>      >  principalities in Atlantia that I'm seeing.
>
>      I think the hostility is based on two basic points -
>      First is the fact that there was a great deal of discussion on this
>      topic several months ago.  There seem to be two results of the
>      discussion: those who think we talked, we decided, now let it rest;
>      and those who don't think we discussed it enough.
>
>      Second this is an extremely subjective topic and the discussion has
>      tended to move into logistics of achieving the goal.  For those who
>      are not yet be convinced that we want this, these discussions are like
>      putting the cart before the horse.

I don't know.  I've watched this process with a lot of amusement.  A lot
of people have gotten worked up over just the mention of a pricipality before
anyone can even give any reasons for it.  I've seen people less worked
up over someone suggesting you change religions (or was that editors ;-).
This is my hobby, folks.  This is what I do for fun.  One of the things
that so impressed me by the rapier community was that the first time
I tried it out, I was asked afterwards if I had fun.  When I replied, "yes,"
with great enthusiasm, they said, "Great!  When it stops being fun,
stop doing it."  This is something that I've tried to apply to everything
in the Society.  We're here to have fun.  Getting worked up because someone
proposes something isn't fun.  If you don't think we should have a
principality, that's ok, but there's no reason for all the hostilities
(and I've seen them on *both* sides).  Come on people, get a life. ;-)
The very least we can do is be reasonable.

In service,
Lord Kendrick Wayfarer
Storvik, Atlantia
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace@netcom.com   |  D /       C /  Fence
Takoma Park     | lovelace@cap.gwu.edu  | ()~    --+-\\   Fence
Maryland        | lovelace@cuc.edu      | / >        | \  Fence
         Non curamus quem regem sit etiam conbibabimur.