Re: Crown Tourney

Dafydd comments on Summer/Winter Rains:

>>the summer reign is the Pennsic Crown.  As I have been told, the
>>Crowns who go to Pennsic have more fun than the Winter Crowns.
>>Naturally, more people are going to want to be a Pennsic King....

>Do not believe everything you are told.  Pennsic is an awful lot of
>work.  I almost totally exhausted myself as Pennsic King.  It is much
>more fun to be Prince/Princess at Pennsic than King: nearly as much
>attention and glory, and far less duty and work.  You don't have to
>go to 5 separate strategy meetings (each lasting several hours), or
>all the myriad courts, or long dinners with 10 other pairs of strangers
>or anything else unless you want to, when you are Prince.  When you
>are King, if you blow off a formal invitation you have insulted or
>wounded some potentate from another Kingdom.  And there is some formal
>"do" on every single evening, afternoon, morning, and midnight of every
>single day at Pennsic.
>
>Winter Reign means Pennsic Prince, plus 12th Night.  I've done Pennsic
>King, and I'd do it again, but I'd prefer a Winter Reign.  And my lady,
>Countess Elizabeth, feels the same even stronger.

On the other hand, I was a Winter King. Being Pennsic Prince can be LOTS
of work depending on who is King. My predecessor was Tsuneo. His
interest/skill was in single combat. He had little of either in group
command. Therefore, I ended up doing the army organizational work of the
King. I burned myself out horribly. (Cyffaith got to perform the "job"
that Dafydd describes as the "Prince's" job. She had a WONDERFUL time!)

I also got to do 2 12th Nights and one Sea War as King. Being
inexperienced, I worked harder than I needed to. I burned myself out
horribly.

So there are opportunities to overwork oneself regardless of which
season you pick for your reign.

Troll/Klaus/Nik