Re: Another Pennsic question

Re:  lighting sources at Pennsic (I forget who asked the original question)

Security does not allow the carrying of lighted tiki torches (yes, they do
spill VERY easily; fortunately, when I spilled my full tiki, I was just
trying to put it back on its stand - it wasn't lit yet!).  I would suggest
that carrying around oil lanterns is similar - spilling burning oil causes
nasty burns.  Most oil lanterns I have seen are not terribly stable when
being carried, but would be fine sitting on a table.

I use a four-sided, glass enclosed candle lantern.  I found it at Pennsic
about three years ago.  It has a chain to hang it by, and a small handle to
raise the candle holder up high enough to replace the candle.  This has
worked wonderfully well, and it's easy to find candles for replacement.  It
is somewhat post-period, as far as I have been able to tell, but it passes
the ten-foot rule, so I don't argue.

I also got one of the shepherd's crook lantern holders that is permanently
placed outside my tent door.  At night, I can either leave the lantern there,
to illuminate the door and tent ropes, or take it with me if I go
camp-hopping.  The last person up in camp is responsible for making sure all
lights and the fire are out.

I would recommend that if you get any sort of candle lantern, whether glass
or pierced metal, you _take it into your tent_ during the day.  I ended up
with a very lopsided, thoroughly melted candle when I left the lantern on the
stand for one day last year.  It took a while to get it out of the lantern,
and I was left with the stub that had to be pried out.

I also have a Coleman battery powered lantern that I use mostly for
emergencies - it casts a very noticeable, very bright, very electric looking
light.  This can be useful when you are almost done with the dishes but need
to scrub the pots, or if someone has tripped over a tent-rope and you need to
examine the ouch, or ESPECIALLY when your tent is attempting to blow over in
the wind and you need to figure out if the stakes are pulling up (and these
are 18" metal spikes, you understand...).  The neat thing about the Coleman
is it can take either the big, weird lantern batteries or, with an adaptor,
four D cells.  (D cells are much easier to find near Cooper's Lake).

I guess my final recommendation is, get something that will light the path,
but not blind the people three tents over.  A flashlight is fine, a candle
lantern is fine, but don't go walking with a Coleman.  It really ruins the
atmosphere - and nights at Pennsic are wonderful!  The campfires, the
torches, the tents that you can't tell are nylon - it's great!

Caitlyn o Duirnin