Re: Earl Dafydd

On Mon, 24 Jul 1995, Lance Harrop wrote:

> Fair Lady Branwynn, who should be back in town soon to be thumped before
> Pennsic, writes:

Keep it up and you'll be the one to get thumped... ^_^

> > Gosh, Leifr, _our_ tutelage has concentrated on learning to *behave*
> > as a knight, not learning to be *made* one.
>
> Now usually, coming as that does from a Lady, I would be happy to let
> this observation go.  However, some months ago, during the great "P"
> debate, I got into a sidebar conversation with Duke Richard, Earl Dafydd,
> and Jarl Galmr, and we raised just this issue (Actually, I think Galmr
> did).  I wrote that I considered being a squire as aspiring to achieve my
> ideals of knighthood,

Agreed.

> as opposed to someone elses ideal, such as a
> certain reigning king of one of the thirteen kingdoms.  Earl Dafydd
> replied that he expected his squires to want to be knights.  There is
> certainly nothing wrong about that, especially compared to wanting to be
> made a knight.  And certainly Dafydd doesn't teach you to want to be a
> knight, or want to be made a knight, he teaches you to be a knight, then
> hopefully convinces the Crown to make you one.

I feel that it is my duty to convice the Crown (through deed and manner)
that I should be made a knight.

> I suspect he choses his
> squires by finding ones who want to be knights in his model, there being
> only a few better models around (Strykar, for instance).
>
> > And the learning of letters
> > has been but a small part of that learning. If Michael Limner has
> > not yet mastered the art of spelling, there are certainly other
> > areas where he shines brightly.
>
> Tolerance and a sense of humour?? ;-).

That does it, I'm gettin' a stick.

* "'Cause I'm the god of destruction, that's why!" - Susano Orbatos,Orion *
*                              Michael Surbrook                           *
*                susano@access.digex.net / surbrook@aol.com               *
*            Attacked Mystification Police / AD Police / ESWAT            *
* Society for Creative Anachronism / House ap Gwystl / Company of St.Mark *