Re: Re[2]: Earl Dafydd

At 5:11 PM 25.07.95, Lance Harrop wrote:
>Lord Tadhg, who has not had enough beer to not be serious ;-), writes,
>
>>      Peers (that's Knights, Laurels, AND Pelicans) are NOT "made", "built"
>>      or whatever else fits the pattern. Peers are RECOGNIZED.
>>
>I really hate that phrase.  In the first place, it's not universal to the
>Society, it's particular to Atlantia.

Counterexample: a few months back, on sca-east, there was somebody, a peer
(a knight, I think), explaining that, in his opinion, X was a knight,
though she had not been recognized by the crown and the chivalry.  He
acknowledged her as his peer; he believed that she met the standards, and
was worthy of the title, and the fact that no king had slapped her on the
shoulders was irrelevant.  To me, this seems the same as the Atlantian
Personally, I prefer this attitude, since it moves the emphasis from your
title to your self.

(Mind you, this is not meant as an objection to your points--I don't know
enough to speak on them.  The fact that the recognition concept is not
uniquely Atlantian doesn't mean that other people take it to the same
degree.  :-)

|John (Francis) Stracke        | http://www.io.com/~francis                 |
|Power Mac w/PPP               | The problem with any unwritten law is that |
|My Mac, my opinions.          |  you don't know where to go to erase it.   |