Re: Desire for Peerage

     Gentles all, I have been trying to stay out of the bustle in
     Cheapside, but Earl Dafydd's philosophical treatise moves me to tell a
     story.  I offer no moral to the tale, but leave you to draw your own.

     Long ago, when I was a Countess with no polling peerage to my name
     (Yes, boys and girls, I once was without Pelican or Laurel.  Rocks
     were soft then.) I believed in my heart that I deserved to be a
     Companion of the Pelican.  I had been Seneschal of the East for a
     couple of years; I had written an autocrat's handbook then in wide
     circulation; I had cooked and/or autocratted local and kingdom events
     too numerous to count.  I had also been, for all intents and purposes,
     secretary to Brigantia Herald (the East's Kingdom herald -- Gyrth
     didn't type) and performed many other services to Kingdom and Crown
     for several years.  I began to be convinced that I was never going to
     be a Pelican.  It made me sad, for a time, but then I remembered that
     I wasn't doing that stuff for a Pelican.  I was doing it because I had
     enjoyed it for a long time, and I was reasonably competent.  It came
     to me that, for whatever reason, I was not enjoying it as much
     anymore.  Perhaps I was burned out, or perhaps I was simply feeling
     unappreciated.  I remembered that there were other things I liked to
     do in the Society, and that perhaps I should change my focus.

     At the time, few, if any, others in Atlantia were preparing feasts of
     foods developed from period recipes.  (Happily, that is not as true
     now as it was then.)  I decided to concentrate on the Art of Cooking,
     something I had loved from childhood, and that I would leave the
     running of things to others for awhile.  Several years went by.  I
     cooked many feasts, taught classes, wrote articles, and organized
     competitions designed to encourage people to study primary cooking
     sources.  When Richard (Croywynn?  Corwyn?  Marshall?  FitzGilbert?)
     won his first Crown, I offered to cook the Coronation feast for him
     and his good lady Anne.  I thought of that feast as a Master work --
     the menu was as perfect a balance as I could manage, for flavor,
     color, texture, temperature, and everything else I could conceivably
     balance.  Deep in my soul, I thought that maybe if the Pelicans didn't
     want me, the Laurels would.  I wanted the Laurels to see that I had
     achieved a certain level of mastery in my art.

     During Olaf and Aslinn's last court, I was up to my elbows in chickens
     when I was called into court.  I had the presence of mind to dry my
     hands and throw off my apron.  There before the throne was assembled
     the Order of the...Pelican, waiting to welcome me as one of them.

     Melisande