Re: "Unofficial" Awards

> In the matter of "unofficial" (i.e. not from Crown) awards, the Provosts
> started passing out braided yellow and blue "favors" to duello fighters
> that impressed them in some way at tournements or other events.
> Has anyone received some sort of unofficial recognition of a like
> manner?  How public was the awarding done?  How did it make
> you feel?  The intent of the Provost's favors was to demonstrate
> recognition and praise from peers (lower case "p") and those
> of the caliber you are trying to emulate.  Any examples or
> stories????

I'm not sure if this is a like manner or not.  In the Barony of
Thescorre (a land so far North it's East), where once I lived,
holds an event called, Sergeants' & Yeomen's, which featured a
day-long contest in seven areas -- martial arts (either heavy
weapons, fencing or archery), performance, dance, gaming, tactics,
(book) heraldry, and courtesy.  No, it was eight -- entrants were
also judged on the calligraphy of their entrance letter.  Contestants
who excelled in all would be named either Sergeant of Thescorre
(if they had competed heavy weapons) or Yeoman of Thescorre.

I entered this contest one year, choosing archery for the martial
aspect, and performing a song of mine own devising called "I'm a
Yeoman" which boasted of my prowess in each of the necessary areas.
(I will gladly sing it here, if asked).  I did not win a Yeoman's
Belt, however.

I honed my skills and re-entered the following year.  But there
was a change; all adult contestants would compete for a Sergeant's
Belt, while children competed for a Yeoman's Belt.  At Baronial
Court that evening, I was called before their Excellencies and
presented with a scroll, and my lady girded my loins with a deep
blue belt, about three thumbbreadth wide, marked with three gold
chevrons.  I hugged the other Sergeants there assembled and took
my new place behind the baronial thoronets.

I often forget to wear the medallion that marks me as a Companion
of the Maunch (the Pearl of the East), but whenever I am wearing
any garb at all, it is a cinch that I will have my Sergeant's Belt
on.  This is partially because I have a clearer sense of having
earned it, and partially because, in a very real sense, it sustains
my purse.

-- Alfredo el Bufon
hopkins@dg-rtp.dg.com
CONJUGATION FOR A HULKING ENTOMOLOGIST