Re: Response to Proposed IAC Banishment Change

His Highness writes:

> Leifr wrote:
>
> > This, however, is very true, and a concern for all the kingdom, as we are
> > pumping about $7000 of kingdom funds directly into the hands of the
> > Crowns a year (when we actually have the money, that is).
>
> This is simply mis-information.  You make is sound like the Crowns walk around
> with a big checkbook to spend as they like.  In general, the Crowns do not
> handle *any* money.  First of all, Atlantia's normal budget is something a
> bit under $5000/year.  And, Atlantia has a little more than one year's
> operating expenses in the bank right now.

True, I believe that it is rather a case of $3000 dollars of travel
funds, plus additional funds for "Pennsic" entertainment.  In addition to
that, there is a trival amount of money given for direct reimbursement of
postage and such, a stipend of $45 a reign.

Of course, that doesn't include the occassions where the Queen comes and
grabs the Chancellor of the Exchequer (who does have the check book) and
goes on a shopping spree for "Kingdom Regalia". (Is true, has happened).

> The only money handed to the Crowns is reimbrusments from travel expenses (upon
> submission of receipts to the Exchequer) up a limit of $1500/reign ($1000 for
> in-Kingdom travel and $500 for out-Kingdom travel).  Somehow, $1500 times 2
> does not equal $7000.  In addition, for the current and the coming reigns,
> the Royal Travel fund has been almost totally funded by donations and isn't
> impacting the Kingdom Treasury even as much as that.

I'd have to consult with Baron Donovan Delann to see if that has been
true consistantly.  It certainly seemed that Duke Michael was concerned
about some sort of financial shortfall the last time he was on the throne.

> The reimbursement of expenses for officers of the SCA is legal and does in
> no way threaten our non-profit status.  The reimbursed officers do have to
> claim the money for tax purposes, but all that does is lessen the total
> deductions for all the other non-reimbursed expenses they incur.

I have to let Lady Esclarmonde and Lord Tibor of Rock Valley argue that
point, because I think Your Highness is right.

In Service, and absent recently due to the flu,
Leifr Johansson