Re: Response to Proposed IAC Banishment Change

Greetings from Tibor.

His Highness Atlantia wrote:
  > The reimbursement of expenses for officers of the SCA is legal and does in
  > no way threaten our non-profit status.  The reimbursed officers do have to
  > claim the money for tax purposes, but all that does is lessen the total
  > deductions for all the other non-reimbursed expenses they incur.

Leifr answered:
  I have to let Lady Esclarmonde and Lord Tibor of Rock Valley argue that
  point, because I think Your Highness is right.

He's right: but the details of what constitutes a legitimate expense is
difficult.  My copy of Lasser's tax guide is at home right now: but I recall
that expenses such as costumes are NOT deductible, nor is transportation to
events whose attendence is even partially for pleasure.  The most
concientous officers I know only deduct or get re-imbursed for travelling
expenses related to Curia: everything else has a "fun" component.

Moral of the story?  The devil is in the details.  It is my earnest belief
that the majority of expenses of the Crown are "tinctured" by enough
pleasure that they are not legitimate expenses.

	Tibor