Re: Heraldry Question

On Fri, 10 May 1996, Scott Silvers/James of Westmorland wrote:

> Unto the denizens of the Merry Rose does James of Westmorland send
> greetings...
>
> 	I am hoping that someone can help me settle a minor disagreement
> concerning some heraldic matters.  In a device that I am planning on
> submitting the charges are on a red and blue field divided down the
> middle, I believe the blazon would probably be "Per pale gules and
> azure".
> 	-------------
> 	|     |     |
>         |     |     |
>         | red | blue|
>            \  |  /
>              \|/

As this is a field division, then no, you are not violating any of the
standard rules of healdry concerning color on color.  Obviously, any
charged placed upon this field would need to be either argent or or (white
or yellow) to be correct.  Placing 'x' object counterchanged would then
voloate the color on color rule.

Michael Limner, esq