Re: Heraldry Question

On Fri, 10 May 1996, Scott Silvers/James of Westmorland wrote:

> 	I am hoping that someone can help me settle a minor disagreement
> concerning some heraldic matters.  In a device that I am planning on
> submitting the charges are on a red and blue field divided down the
> middle, I believe the blazon would probably be "Per pale gules and
> azure".
[emblazon snipped]

Yes, your blazon is correct.

> Anyway, a friend of mine who claims to have heraldic knowledge
> says that this is an illegal device and would not pass as it is color on
> color.  However, I disagree.  I remember reading in the Atlantian
> Herald's Handbook something to the effect of a division per pale being a
> division of the field; therefore not subject to the tincture on
> tincture rule as the field is considered divided and the colors not to be
> on top of one another.

Yes, it is a field division.  Therefore, no, it is not 'color on color.'

HOWEVER.  It *may* be too simple to pass -- i.e. somebody has it already;
doesn't have enough stuff to differentiate it from somebody else's; some
similar problem.

It doesn't hurt to submit; the herald to whom you give your forms will
give you counseling.  If it goes on from there, but it's returned at any
point from here out for conflict, style, any of those other favorite
problems, you still have a year from the date of the return letter to
resubmit a changed device without having to pay again.

   Alys of Foxdale      |   Vert, on a fess between three trees
foxdale@widomaker.com   |       argent, a fox passant gules.