Re: Heraldry Question

>...I believe the blazon would probably be "Per pale gules and
>azure".
>        -------------
>        |     |     |
>        |     |     |
>        | red | blue|
>        |     |     |
>         \    |    /
>           \  |  /
>             \|/

James -

You are correct.  This would *not* be a violation of the "No color on color"
rule.

What would be a violation is to put a colored *charge* on a colored field.  "
Per pale gules and azure, a Kumquat counterchanged" (for example) wouldn't work.

Now-a-days, you can't even have *part* of a charge color-on-color. Viz my arms:

"Sable, a bend Or, overall a dragon segrient Gules, clutching in dexter
forepaw two wings conjoined, Sable"

In the example above, part of the red dragon is on the black background.  Not
allowed any more, though it was back when it was passed.

"Sable, _on_ a bend Or, a dragon segrient Gules..., etc" *would* be allowed
as the entire dragon would be on the bend.

So as long as you have a metal, ermine or proper (depending on color) charge
either overall or on each side of your device, you should be OK.

I recommend having your charge overall, as putting different charges on
either side of the dividing line makes it look like arms of pretence (
impaled arms, which the SCA does not allow).

There will be a consulting table at Emerald Joust in the feast hall from
Noon to 4 on Saturday if you or anyone else is interested in consulting a
herald on name or device.  Bring your paperwork!  Avoid the Pennsic rush!

        - Anarra Karlsdottir
          Emerald Autocrat and Persuivant Extraordinary at large