Viking Ship Shelters (was Re: resources?)

On Tue, 14 May 1996, Timothy vanVranken wrote:

>   I am looking for a good source of information on Viking Tents (the big
>   A-frames), their construction in particular.  I saw many at PENNSIC XXIV and
>   I am interested in building one for PENNSIC XXV.  Any thoughts?

Building a Viking Ship Shelter tent is simplicity itself.  The frame is
an isoceles triangle.  Get six 2x4s about 8-10 feet long.  Get three
round closet poles about 10-12 feet long.  At both ends of the 2x4s
drill a hole all the way through big enough for the poles to fit
through (but small enough for it to be snug).  This forms your
entire frame.  The poles run the length of the tent and go through two
of the 2x4s.  The end looks sort of like this:

              /\
            /\ */\
          /   /\   \
        /   /    \   \
      /   /        \   \
    /   /            \   \
 _/___/________________\___\_
/_*_/____________________\_*_\

The asteriks mark the approximate location of the poles which run the
length of the ten to another side just like this one.

As far as the canvas for the tent is concerned, you need basically
a flat piece as long as your poles and wide as two lengths of your
2x4s.  Sew loopholes on each end big enough to slide the poles into
and the just run it over the top pole.  It's also nice to sew two
right triangles to the each end so that you can have doors. :-)
Also, a floor can be added if needed or wanted.

Decorate to taste.  Then figure some way to get it to events
(I ended up buying a roof rack for just this purpose).

Good luck.

In service,
Lord Kendrick Wayfarer
---