Re: INFO: seconjubin recipe

Gentle Thorns and Lady Alanna-
Seconjubin is made thusly:
You need 4 cups of sugar, 2 cups of water, 3/4cup of white vinegar, and a teaspoon of fresh mint from the jars merchants commonly sell. I have also used a long sprig of mint with success.

1) Heat the water to boiling and disolve the sugar into it.
2) Add the vinegar and boil ten minutes.
3) Toss in the mint and turn off the heat.

You now have a concentrated syrup, which you combine to taste with cool water. I have found that the usual SCA pitcher takes 1/2cup or so of syrup to a pitcherful of water...
This is an excellent cool drink to serve at feasts to clear the palate, and to take to hot events such as Pennsic. It is most refreshing.

I first learned of it in Sir Cariadoc of the Bow's Miscellany, and for some years it was a standard in both Black Diamond and Isenfir.

Enjoy!

Miriam R.
Miriam Rachael bat Mordecai | Purpure on a bend Or,
The non-pregnant Miriam     | between two swans naiant
akaThe Intriguing Miriam    | respectant, wings elevated
Isenfiri-In-Exile           | and addorsed argent, three
mka: Heather E.M. Swann     | sprigs of heather palewise
email:swann@intercon.com    | purpure.